Sunday, July 29, 2007

Examples of uTube use in libraries & classrooms

Hey everyone,

I tried a different search engine today and low and behold I was able to find great resources that I couldn't find before. It just goes to show you that the various search engines do have different resources to offer. It ain't all about Google!

Anyway, I thought you might be interested in seeing how libraries are really using this technology.

Here is a high school which created uTube videos to show their students how to use its resources. Check the videos out on their website:

http://www.parkrosehighschool.com/Academics/Library%20page/page.html

Here's another created by a librarian at Georgia Tech:

http://youtube.com/profile?user=GTMechEngVids

Here's his blog on using uTube which is also interesting:

http://theubiquitouslibrarian.typepad.com/the_ubiquitous_librarian/2006/07/do_you_youtube_.html

Here's a blog about students in Australia learning through uTube in the classroom:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/web/youtube-course-is-a-class-act/2006/11/06/1162661610036.html

Enjoy and please let me know what you think.

4 comments:

BeaL said...

Hi Thea,

Very impressive! I think using Youtube for library tutorials is a great idea! Kids today are very in tune to this type of media and I think they would be very receptive towards this type of learning experience. It's something I will keep in mind for the future. Thanks for sharing!

**Beatrice**

Kate said...

Hey Thea-

In one of your previous posts, I think, you mentioned that one useful aspect of using uTube in the library had to do with the tutorials. This was a great follow-up to that comment- to see it firsthand.

I agree with Beatrice, kids are more attracted to that form of media (as opposed to let's say written instructions posted to a library site). So, I can now see the benefits - it's a great asset for librarians to use to reach students.

-Kate

thealouise said...

Thank you both for the nice comments. I'm glad you both enjoyed the video tutorials. Both of your posts made me think of a point that was touched upon in the Cyber Security Industry Alliance paper we had to read this week. They commented on the fact that many of the cyber awareness web sites use graphics and video footage that is rudimentary and just doesn't measure up to the videos, video games and computer graphics that kids are used to and have come to expect. I think if we really want to grab kids' attention and keep it, we're going to have to step it up a notch, technologically speaking.

Julie Marie said...

Dear Thea, I haven't been avoiding your blog -- every time I linked to it I got the same page (June) and I didn't see you many interesting and informative posts. Now I have my work cut out for me! I should have called you to see what was going on . . . forgive me!

So, I'd like to comment on your last point about "taking it up a notch". I tutor two boys, and one of them is having a tough time with multiplication. I looked around on the web for some interactive sites and found a fabulous one, designed just like a video game, with sound effects, visual effects and all the bells and whistles that accompany the gaming experience. The only problem was the price. The flat, drag and drop games are free, the flashy ones aren't.

Funny that just as we are getting the hang of webquests and websites, it's time to move on.

Again, Thea, I really am sorry to have missed all your posts in "real time". Bear with me, after this weekend I intend to go back and read. I really admire your grasp of the content and I have so much to learn!